For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. (Php 3:3) Just what does this statement mean to us?
We worship God through the spirit within us. We are created with a body, a soul, and a spirit. The spirit portion of us communicates in the spiritual realm. The Holy Spirit of God lives within each one of us. (1 Cor 6:19) Our spirit, within us, communicates with God, the Father; Jesus, the Son; and the Holy Spirit, our counselor and helper.
We are the circumcision may mean several things.
- We are the real circumcision. (Rom 2:25-29; Col 2:11)
- We are the spiritual circumcision, characterized by three things:
- Worship in the spirit; (Jo 4:24)
- Joy in our relationship with Christ, and our attraction to Him.
- No confidence in the flesh, in outward performances or mankind’s rules. We build only upon Jesus Christ, the everlasting foundation. (Php 3:3; Pro 10:25; 1 Cor 3:11)
We have no confidence in our flesh because it can be negatively influenced by our lusts. (Jas 4:3) We put no confidence in physical advantages or external appearances. These are all subject to change.
According to an old hymn, our faith is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. (2 Cor 5:21) Let’s glory and rejoice in Christ alone!