But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. (Heb 11:6)
Faith means: confidence, reliance, trust, belief, assurance
- “The one who comes to God” – someone who is approaching God, moving toward Him, and drawing closer to Him
- “Believe that He is” – believe that God exists: that He is real, alive, and present
- “He is a rewarder” – believe that God’s character is good and that because He is good, He rewards those who seek Him
- “Reward” – a gift, bonus, or blessing
- “Diligently” – industriously, conscientiously, persistently
- “Seek Him” – pursue; search for; look for; chase; follow; or hunt: our desire for God must be so strong that we are willing to chase or “hunt” for Him, looking for clues to His presence and blessings in our lives. This “seeker” will yearn to spend time in the Lord’s loving presence, and will follow the move of God wherever it takes them.
A confident trust and reliance upon God is necessary for our everyday lives in order to please Him. This is called faith, and it is the gift of God. (Eph 2:8) We believe that His character is good—that He loves to bless those who industriously pursue Him and trust in His Word.
We are so in love with the “Lover of our souls” that we love, trust, and honor His Word above all else. We also can experience a strong desire or drive to be in the presence of the One whom we love.
Let us be wise enough to pursue Him: the God who sought us first and loved us first. He even courted us and gave us the desire to become saved. The Lord tells us in Jeremiah 29:13 that when we seek Him, He will be found by us! What a loving Redeemer and Deliverer!