Welcome! This meditation is for all believers—men as well as women.
An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, but she who causes shame is like rottenness in his bones. (Proverbs 12:4 NKJV)
In this verse, the words excellent wife mean a wife of valor. Valor means bravery, courage, heroism, boldness, daring, fortitude, nerve, and pluck. This is one with determination and resolve. This is a person of honor.
This honorable person’s determination and resolve could be about many different things:
- To serve the Lord with joy and gladness (Psalm 2:11; 100:2; Colossians 2:4)
- To bring only honor and glory to the Name of the Lord (Psalm 66:2; 1 Tim. 1:17; 6:1; Rev. 7:12; 19:1)
- To be an instrument of peace in all situations (Numbers 6:26; 25:12; Psalm 34:14; 37:37; Prov. 3:17; 12:20; 16:7; Isa. 26:3; Rom. 12:17, 18; 2 Cor. 5:18, 19)
- To bless their family, friends, and neighbors and not to curse them with their words (Prov. 11:11; Ezek. 34:26; Rom. 15:29; Gal. 3:14; 1 Pet. 3:9; James 3:8-11)
- To build their home and not to destroy it (Proverbs 14:1)
- To be hard-working and consistent on behalf of their family (Prov. 31:10-31)
- To be a light in the darkness (Ps. 112:4; Isa. 58:10; John 8:12; Rom. 13:12; Ephes. 5:8-10)
- To be a blessing to their spouse (Prov. 31:10-31)
- To serve their family (Prov. 31:10-31)
This is a beautiful picture of a person of valor who loves the Lord and chooses to live for Him every day. This person ministers out of the strength that they receive from their relationship with Jesus, their Savior and Redeemer, their Groom—to whom this honorable person is a Crown! Such a person has a servant’s heart.
Since the entire body of believers in Christ make up the bride of Christ, ALL Christians should strive to live like this—not only women! Be blessed and be a blessing today!