- Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! (Isa 5:20)
- And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. (Gen 1:4)
- Then I saw that wisdom excels folly as light excels darkness. (Ecc 2:13, emphasis added)
These passages from Scripture (shown above) remind us that God calls the light good, and He wants the life that’s within each one of us to emanate from the Light Who is Jesus Christ within us. (Jo 1:4; 8:12) Jesus Christ is the Light and He is good. We must make the decision about whether we want to obey the Lord, and to allow His light within us to shine!
- Therefore take heed that the light which is in you is not darkness. (Lk 11:35)
Even as Jesus was sent into the world as a light for all of mankind, He wants us now to show forth His light so that more people may receive salvation through Jesus Christ.
- For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (2 Cor 4:6)
So how may we shine the light of salvation into the darkening world around us? Yes, the Bible gives us answers to that as well!
- If you extend your soul to the hungry and satisfy the afflicted soul, then your light shall dawn in the darkness, and your darkness shall be as the noonday. The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; You shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. (Isa 58:10-11)
By doing good works, by sharing the Good News of the gospel with all people, and by living obediently to the Word of God, we shine the Light of Jesus Christ and His salvation into the darkness.