People who have not been exposed to church attendance or religious teaching of any kind may not know how to answer our title question. They may not even understand why anyone would like to go to heaven! What is the definition of heaven?
- the dwelling place of the Deity and the blessed dead;
- a spiritual state of everlasting communion with God;
- a place or condition of utmost happiness;
- the abode of God, the angels, and the spirits of the righteous after death; and
- the place or state of existence of the blessed after mortal life.
One thing mentioned more than once in these definitions is that heaven is the dwelling place of God. Since we believers know that God is love (1 Joh 4:8), the concept of living forever with the God who IS LOVE becomes a very appealing goal for us.
A key aspect of our life as human beings is the understanding that God created all humans in His own image. (Gen 1:27) Since we’ve all been created in the very likeness and reflection of God, not only is a relationship with God important to us but love, itself, is important to mankind.
We need to recognize these two facts because every human being needs to make a decision about faith in God, and every human being wants to receive and to give love.
In the next article, we’ll continue with this subject.