In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety. (Ps 4:8 NIV, emphasis added)
According to the verse above, ONLY the Lord causes us to live in safety. If we only realized it, everything in life depends upon the goodness of God, alone.
How do I know? Consider these passages from the Bible.
- Only God knows the hearts of all men (1 Kgs 8:39; 2 Chron 6:30)
- Only God created the heavens and the earth (2 Kgs 19:15; Neh 9:6; Job 9:8; Isa 44:24)
- The Bible tells us to wait for God, alone, with expectation (Ps 62:5)
- God, alone, is the Most High God over the earth (Ps 83:18; 148:13)
- He, alone, is God (Ps 86:10; Isa 37:16, 20)
- God, alone, does great wonders—signs and miracles (Ps 136:4; Ac 2:22; Heb 2:4)
- Only God has the authority to forgive sin (Mk 2:7; Lk 5:21)
- God, alone, deserves glory, honor and praise (Rom 16:27; 1 Tim 1;17, 6:16; Ju 1:25; Rev 15:4)
- We should boast only of the Lord (Ps 34:2; 44:8; Gal 6:14)
As we go about our daily lives, serving the Lord and His people, it would be good to meditate upon the truths noted above. As we rely upon God and upon the leading of His Holy Spirit, He will help us to understand the hearts of men. He will give us a revelation of His creation, as well as what to expect in our own lives and circumstances.
He, the great miracle-working Savior, will preserve us and deliver us by His power. He will continue to forgive us and to pour out His mercy and grace upon us. He surrounds us with His love.
Therefore, let us give Him all the glory, praise and honor; and boast only in Him.