How would we guard a treasure? Would we put it in a bank deposit box; a secret vault; or in a guarded safe? Naturally, we would do all that we could to protect our valuable property.
What about protecting our spiritual treasure? Are we just as diligent? Do we value it properly as we should?
What is our spiritual treasure? It is our saving FAITH in Jesus Christ which gives us new life on earth and an eternity in heaven with the Lord—where we will receive a crown. We’ll be in eternal blissfulness in the splendor of God’s presence.
So what does the Bible say to us?
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. (1 Cor 16:13 NIV)
Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (1 Tim 6:12 ESV)
I have fought the good fight, finished the race, and kept the faith. (2 Tim 4:7 CEB)
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. (Eph 6:10 NIV)
In life hardship and heartaches come our way but, thanks to Jesus, we are never defeated, never without hope, and never alone because our lives are in the hands of God. He is our defender and protector.
We’ve been given a treasure, but we need to guard it strongly. The devil wants to destroy our saving faith. He wants to make us doubt in our minds, to confuse our understanding, and to lead us off course to false treasures which have no value whatsoever.
But we rely upon the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is eternal truth, and nothing will prevail against it. As we memorize and meditate upon the Scriptures and remind ourselves of the wonderful gift of salvation that we have received, we will learn how to use our spiritual weapons referred to in 2 Corinthians 10:3-5.
Here are just some of spiritual our tools:
- We must take every thought captive to obey Christ (2 Cor 10:5) – this means that we must monitor our thoughts and reject those that contradict the Gospel. We need to train our minds to remain centered upon Jesus.
- Be sober-minded and watchful. (1 Pet 5:8)
- Submit ourselves to God and resist the devil. (Jas 4:7)
- Put on the armor of God in order to stand successfully against the schemes of the devil. (Eph 6:10-12; Eph 6:14-18)
- Authority to tread on serpents and scorpions. (Lk 10:19)
- Meditate upon excellent things that are worthy of praise. (Phil 4:8)
- The blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony. (Rev 12:11)
- The Holy Spirit within us is greater than the devil. (1 Joh 4:4)
With these impressive spiritual tools, we are more than able to guard our faith victoriously. Hallelujah!