You may well ask, “How do we keep in step with the Holy Spirit?” Let’s study that today.
- Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. (Gal 5:25 NIV)
This verse reminds us that we live by the Spirit (of God), so it is important that we walk in unity and harmony with Him.
- It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. (Joh 6:63 NKJV)
The Holy Spirit is the author of spiritual truth and life in all of its forms—physical, spiritual, and mental. The Lord tells us in this verse that His words are spirit and life, so the more that we read, meditate upon, and memorize the word of God, the more that we are renewed, revived, and refreshed by it.
- . . . who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. (2 Cor 3:6 NKJV)
Again the Bible affirms in the verse above that the Holy Spirit gives us the gift of life in all of its forms:
- A long life (Ps 91:16)
- An abundant life (Joh 10:10)
- A blessed life (Joh 10:10; Jam 1:12; Rev 22:14)
- Health and healing (Pro 3:7-8; 4:21-22; 3 Joh 1:2)
And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if [since] the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. (Rom 8:10-11 KJV, emphasis & bracketed word added)
This passage from the book of Romans (above) reminds us that the Spirit is life, as well as the fact that the Holy Spirit dwells within each and every believer.
The Holy Spirit’s perfect, holy, healthy life is continuously quickened (accelerated, renewed) in each believer because we are the temple of the Holy Spirit. (1 Cor 6:19)
So, we may reasonably conclude that we “keep in step with the Spirit” by living in agreement with and in obedience to the Word of God, the Bible. God bless you.