Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Mt 6:19-21)
Treasures of wickedness profit nothing, but righteousness delivers from death. (Pro 10:2)
The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. (Ps 19:9-10)
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, 46 who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it. (Mt 13:44-46)
. . . that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. (Col 2:2-3)
We may think that wealth and riches profit us in this life. In some ways, that is true. However, we should remember that any so-called treasure that is a result of dishonesty or sinful pursuits will not bring us the joy that truly satisfies. Such treasures will never profit us in eternity.
But the righteousness that is born of faith in Jesus Christ will deliver us from many evils in this life as well as from eternal death in the next.
The Bible is packed full of precious promises (treasures) for the believer. There are promises concerning health, healing, prosperity, the blessings of children, and the joy of relationships. There are promises about every area of life; and all we need to do is to study them, meditate upon them, and to claim them for ourselves. Here are several examples:
- Children are a blessing from God. (Ps 127:3-5)
- Great wealth is in the house of the righteous . . . (Prov 15:6a)
- Who satisfies your mouth with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. (Ps 103:5)
- Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, Who teaches you to profit, Who leads you by the way you should go. (Isa 48:17)
- For I am the Lord who heals you. (Ex 15:26)
- . . . who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed. (1 Pet 2:24)
These are the true treasures of life and of eternity in Jesus Christ.