Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Ps 23:6)
We determine that we will dwell in the house of the Lord forever and that goodness and mercy shall follow us by accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as our personal Savior and Lord. With that one decision, we also decide to accept all of the benefits and blessings of our salvation—which are unlimited!
Of course, the Bible also informs us that there will be persecution for our faith for which we must be prepared. (Mt 5:44; 10:23; Lk 21:12) But we can and should expect both, especially God’s blessings.
The blessings of salvation are many, varied, and unlimited. You truly need to study the Bible to locate all of the promised blessings, but I love to list at least some of them for people to meditate upon and to rejoice over!
- God is our shield and surpassingly great reward (Gen 15:1)
- The Lord is our healer (Ex 15:26)
- His joy is our strength (Neh 8:10)
- Jesus is our Open Heaven (Joh 1:51)
- All of God’s promises to us are answered “Yes” and “So be it” through Jesus, our Lord (2 Cor. 1:20)
- The Lord gives us a long life (Ps 91:16)
- God gives us good things to eat and renews our youth (Ps 103:5)
- God gives us an incorruptible inheritance (1 Pet 1:3-4)
- God give us eternal life. (Joh 3:15)
These are just a small handful of the benefits of trusting in God and accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord. Meditate on how much God loves you, and how very much He wants to bless you every single day of your life! Hallelujah!
Our God has promised to give His people long life as the verses shown below demonstrate.
- You shall walk in all the way that the Lord your God has commanded you, that you may live, and that it may go well with you, and that you may live long in the land that you shall possess. (Deut 5:33 ESV)
- With long life will I satisfy him, and show him My salvation. (Ps 91:16)
- My son, do not forget my law, but let your heart keep my commands; for length of days and long life and peace they will add to you. (Pro 3:1-2)
- The fear of the Lord prolongs life, but the years of the wicked will be short. (Pro 10:27)
- Who have been upheld by Me from birth, Who have been carried from the womb: even to your old age, I am He, and even to gray hairs I will carry you! I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you. (Isa 46:3b, 4)
God enjoys blessing and protecting us for we are His people. He has given us a calling and a mission to spread the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and to make disciples. (See Mat 28:18-20 & Mk 16:15) This is HOW we are to use the long lives that He has given to us!
We’re called to be witnesses to the ends of the earth, telling others about Jesus’ atoning work on behalf of all mankind. (See Acts 1:8) Not only that, but the Lord wants us to share our own testimonies of what He has done for each one of us. We all have testimonies to share of answered prayers and miracles that God has done on our behalf.
Making disciples is all about continuing the chain of redemption by passing on the faith that was passed to you. (See Rom 10:14-15) We are all called to use our long lives wisely on behalf of the Lord Jesus Christ.