For evildoers shall be cut off; but those who wait on the Lord, they shall inherit the earth. (Ps 37:9)
He himself shall dwell in prosperity, and his descendants shall inherit the earth. (Ps 25:13)
The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell in it forever. (Ps 37:29)
For the upright will dwell in the land, and the blameless will remain in it . . . (Pro 2:21)
These passages of the Bible focus upon the idea that the righteous have been given a promise to “inherit the earth.” What does that mean for believers?
Here are some facts to begin this meditation:
- God is the owner of this earth (Ps 24:1).
- Those who obey Christ become children of God (Gal 3:27; Heb 5:9), and “joint-heirs” with the Lord (Rom 8:17).
- The Father supplies all of our needs (Phil 4:19); we therefore enjoy this earth and its blessings more than all others.
- Mainly, however, our inheritance is spiritual (Ac 20:32); we are heirs in the kingdom of Christ (Eph 5:5), and citizenship in that kingdom is available now on this earth (Col 1:13).
- Finally, we also look for an inheritance that is reserved for us in heaven (1 Pet 1:4), because we are aware that the earth will be destroyed when Christ returns (2 Pet 3:10).
The verses of Scripture at the beginning of this article all describe a blessing appointed to the righteous in the coming age.
All who have been made righteous through Jesus Christ shall one day have power over all things, and until then will always receive provision of their needs through Jesus Christ. How blessed we are!