Most of us don’t realize that as followers of Jesus Christ, we should not criticize ourselves or even think negative things about ourselves! Does that surprise you?
This is a lesson the Lord had to teach me, and one that He also needs to remind me of from time to time. It’s a favorite tool of the enemy to get us thinking disapproving things of ourselves, but we must not do it.
Here are some of the Scriptural reasons to help us to understand the deep, spiritual importance of this:
- So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. (Gen 1:27 NIV)
Every human being on earth, whether Christian or not, has been created in the image of God. Since that is true, EVERYONE deserves to be treated with respect—including ourselves!
- I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. (Ps 139:14 ESV)
Since, each human being was given life by the Lord, each individual is a wonderful work of the Lord. We would never contemplate criticizing one of God’s works, would we? Then why do we think it’s okay to think pessimistic thoughts about ourselves?
- . . . everyone who is called by My name, and whom I have created for My glory, whom I have formed, even whom I have made. (Isa 43:7 NASB)
We have each been created to bring God glory. Our thoughts are much better ordered and employed to meditate upon God and to think worshipful thoughts about Him. Also, it is productive to think of ways to bring Him glory and honor.
- Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? (1 Cor 6:19 NKJV)
We, as believers, do not belong to ourselves but we belong to God. Each Christian is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Just think about the enormity of that honor.
- . . . and to clothe yourselves with the new nature, which was created according to God’s image in righteousness and true holiness. (Eph 4:24 ISV)
Our ‘new nature’ since salvation is the one that has ‘put on Christ.’ (Rom 13:14; Gal 3:27) Our born-again spirit was sealed by God in righteousness and true holiness. There is nothing within us that we are able to criticize because we belong to God. Glory to God!
Meditate upon how very important you are to the Lord, and the fact that you belong to Him. God is with you. Rejoice in His truth!